UN migration agency estimates more than 670 killed in Papua New Guinea landslide

World 14:02 26.05.2024

The International Organization for Migration on Sunday increased its estimate of the death toll from a massive landslide in Papua New Guinea to more than 670 as emergency responders and traumatized relatives gave up hope that any survivors will now be found, Ednews informs via the Associated Press.

Serhan Aktoprak, the chief of the UN migration agency’s mission in the South Pacific island nation, said the revised death toll was based on calculations by Yambali village and Enga provincial officials that more than 150 homes had been buried by Friday’s landslide. The previous estimate had been 60 homes.

“They are estimating that more than 670 people (are) under the soil at the moment,” Aktoprak told The Associated Press.

Local officials had initially put the death toll on Friday at 100 or more. Only five bodies and a leg of a sixth victim had been recovered by Sunday.

Relief crews were moving survivors to safer ground on Sunday as tons of unstable earth and tribal warfare, which is rife in the Papua New Guinea Highlands, threatened the rescue effort.

The national government meanwhile is considering whether it needs to officially request more international support.

Crews have given up hope of finding survivors under earth and rubble 6 to 8 meters deep.

“People are coming to terms with this so there is a serious level of grieving and mourning,” Aktoprak said.

He said the new estimated death toll was “not solid” because it was based on the average size of the region’s families per household. He would not speculate on the possibility that the actual toll could be higher.

“It is difficult to say. We want to be quite realistic,” Aktoprak said. “We do not want to come up with any figures that would inflate the reality.”

Government authorities were establishing evacuation centers on safer ground on either side of the massive swath of debris that covers an area the size of three to four football fields and has cut the main highway through the province.

Beside the blocked highway, convoys that have transported food, water and other essential supplies since Saturday to the devastated village 60 kilometers (35 miles) from the provincial capital, Wabag, have faced risks related to tribal fighting in Tambitanis village, about halfway along the route. Papua New Guinea soldiers were providing security for the convoys.

Eight locals were killed in a clash between two rival clans on Saturday in a longstanding dispute unrelated to the landslide. Around 30 homes and five retail businesses were burned down in the fighting, local officials said.

Aktoprak said he did not expect tribal combatants would target the convoys but noted that opportunistic criminals might take advantage of the mayhem to do so.

“This could basically end up in carjacking or robbery,” Aktoprak said. “There is not only concern for the safety and security of the personnel, but also the goods because they may use this chaos as a means to steal.”

Longtime tribal warfare has cast doubt on the official estimate that almost 4,000 people were living in the village when a side of Mount Mungalo fell away. The count was years old and did not take into account people who had relocated to the village more recently to flee clan violence that goverment authorities are unable to contain.

Justine McMahon, country director of the humanitarian agency CARE International, said moving survivors to “more stable ground” was an immediate priority along with providing them with food, water and shelter. The military was leading those efforts.

The numbers of injured and missing were still being assessed on Sunday. Seven people including a child had received medical treatment by Saturday, but officials had no details on their conditions.

Papua New Guinea Defense Minister Billy Joseph and the government’s National Disaster Center director Laso Mana were flying from Port Moresby by helicopter to Wabag on Sunday to gain a firsthand perspective of what is needed.

Aktoprak expected the government would decide by Tuesday whether it would officially request more international help.

The United States and Australia, a near neighbor and Papua New Guinea’s most generous provider of foreign aid, are among governments that have publicly stated their readiness to do more to help responders.

Papua New Guinea is a diverse, developing nation with 800 languages and 10 million people who are mostly subsistence farmers

 

IEPF issued a statement regarding Azerbaijani children at the UN Human Rights Council

News line

Punitive or a gift? How five big economies see new Trump tariffs
15:38 03.04.2025
Battle over EU green rules shakes von der Leyen’s fragile centrist coalition
15:28 03.04.2025
David Ishkhanyan speaks about role of former president Serzh Sargsyan in First Karabakh War
13:55 03.04.2025
Vienna’s preparation for a 5,000-year flood
13:28 03.04.2025
Hungary to Withdraw from ICC as Netanyahu Visits Amid Arrest Warrant
12:53 03.04.2025
Meloni strains to hold her coalition together over Ukraine and EU rearmament
12:47 03.04.2025
The 22nd Amendment: Limiting Presidential Terms
12:33 03.04.2025
Trump's Tariffs: New Pressures on the World's Poorest and Most Vulnerable Nations
12:28 03.04.2025
Russia Boosts Military Forces as Ukraine Conflict Escalates
12:19 03.04.2025
Asian Markets Decline Amid New Tariff Announcements; Gold Hits Record High
12:06 03.04.2025
New Zealand's Response to Trump's Tariffs: Concerns and Optimism Amid Trade Tensions
11:55 03.04.2025
How Trump’s Tariffs Will Impact South Asian Economies: A Growing Strain
11:35 03.04.2025
"War with Iran almost inevitable’"
10:25 03.04.2025
AIIB preparing to issue loan to Baku Metro
16:29 02.04.2025
Azerbaijani President outlines conditions for signing peace treaty with Armenia
16:04 02.04.2025
Monetary base in Azerbaijan up by nearly 2B manats in March
16:02 02.04.2025
"Taiwan's independence incompatible with regional peace"
15:48 02.04.2025
Ghibli effect: ChatGPT usage hits record after rollout of viral feature
15:48 02.04.2025
Georgia passes law banning NGOs from state decision-making
13:57 02.04.2025
Why Azerbaijan Should Be The Face Of The Global Pomegranate Boom
11:28 02.04.2025
Is ChatGPT doing the Commission’s homework?
11:23 02.04.2025
Trump seriously considering Iran's offer of indirect nuclear talks
10:09 02.04.2025
Powerful Lyrid meteor shower to be observed from mid-to-late April
09:12 02.04.2025
The Impact of Success on Individuals and Society
11:33 01.04.2025
Discover the Hidden History of Western Azerbaijan
10:58 01.04.2025
Germany Apologizes to Azerbaijan Over Controversial Social Media Post
10:44 01.04.2025
The instances defined in the UN Genocide Convention have repeatedly occurred in Azerbaijani history
19:04 31.03.2025
IEPF issued a statement regarding Azerbaijani children at the UN Human Rights Council
15:00 31.03.2025
The Depths of Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications
13:02 31.03.2025
Ziroatxon Mirzoeva has congratulated Mehriban Aliyeva
10:17 31.03.2025
MFA: There is no information about Azerbaijani citizens being injured in the earthquake in Thailand and Myanmar
10:09 31.03.2025
Ombudsman Issues Statement on Azerbaijani Genocide Day, Highlights Historical Atrocities and International Recognition
08:38 31.03.2025
In the first phase, the relocation of 895 people to the village of Sarijali is planned.
08:38 31.03.2025
Azerbaijani Genocide: The Unforgettable Horrors of History
00:03 31.03.2025
Armenia’s Provocation Attempts and Azerbaijan’s Response
18:29 30.03.2025
Saakashvili’s party will not be able to participate in elections in Georgia.
15:22 30.03.2025
Ilham Aliyev and Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had a phone conversation
10:59 30.03.2025
Armenia’s Provocative Attempts Fail
10:53 30.03.2025
Azerbaijan and Pakistan Strengthen Ties During Ramadan Bayram
09:34 30.03.2025
Azerbaijan and Turkiye’s Growing Partnership
08:29 30.03.2025
Hamısı